14.3.2011

Furlong

Coming back from work
M: Guess what was another thing I looked on line when I couldn't sleep?
E: Hmmm.
M: You know that one of my colleague's surname is Furlong. So I red something which made me think that it actually means something.  And I found out that Furlong is an old measurement which origin is the length oxen were able to pull the plough before they needed a rest. And that's by the way 200 metres which equals 220 yarns exactly.
E: I bet you know now more about her surname that she does herself.
M: Hmm. And have you heard the expression "furlong for fortnight"?
E: No.
M: It means any unclear, unknown length which need to be expressed unclearly. In Finnish the same meaning is expressed by the word "poronkusema", reindeer's pee. It is the length of time that reindeer pees as he can pee when is running.
Furlong

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti