27.2.2011

Walking and walking

I love walking. Back in Finland I took regular  stick walks (Nordic Walk)  around the river Oulu estuary. The river mouth combines many  little islands and streams which makes it very pleasant  and pretty. The Finns take pride in creating Nordic Walk.  I think that it is just one example of Finnish tendency to be super effective and multi-task when ever possible. You can not just take rolling walks around the city or along numerous beautiful walking paths, you need to walk briskly and  effectively. An there isn't an easier way to get your  hart beat up than  using walking sticks, if you do not want to jog or run.  Please do not get me wrong, I do love stick walking. It is very nice. Especially if you are in the environment where it is a national hobby, where the infrastructure for  nice pedestrian walking paths and effective street lights actually exists and you are not the only person who wants to walk for your health in the streets after 5pm.

I had to change my mindset in England. However much I love stick walking, it is not for me at the moment. I have had to teach myself a concept of leisurely walks.  At the moment walking for me means browsing  around interesting places and enjoying the beauty of the world.  Leisurely walks are  a blessing. They allow me to enjoy and be free of the pressure of being effective. This lesson have been very difficult to learn and I am still learning. There is no need to multi-task or even see  it all at once. It is the element of excitement and unknown which makes my leisure walks so satisfying. The world around us is truly amazing.  And after two or three hours leisurely walks I feel physically tired as well.  So  it must bring some physical heath benefits on the top of charging my spiritual and emotional batteries. I wouldn't have seen these little gems if I would have walked briskly:

Kew Gardens
Copperfield St  SE1, London
Sally Elford 'Flora and Feathers' from Elphick's
The Sunflower Seed Installation by Ai Weiwei, Tate Modern

2 kommenttia:

  1. Kiitos kutsusta bloginne lukijaksi. Luin postauksenne alusta alkaen ja löysin tosiaan paljon tuttua pohdintaa ja tunnelmia. Löysin myös kannustavia vinkkejä ja ohjeita, kiitos niistä!
    Liitn bloginne sivupalkkiini, kai se sopii! Luulen että monet muutkin löytävät täältä tukea painonpudotuksen ja -hallinnan välillä melkoisen kimurantille polulle!

    VastaaPoista
  2. Tervetuloa lukijaksemme, Maaretta! Mukava, jos kirjoituksistamme on ollut iloa! Ja ilman muuta voit liittä blogin sivupalkkiisi. Me teemme samoin :-)
    t. Merja Suomesta

    VastaaPoista